f. Installation. (Figure 2-20)
(1) Trailer should be in raised position. If it was lowered after removal of service brake assembly, refer to
paragraph 221, and raise the flatbed cargo trailer.
(2) Carefully slip service brake assembly (21) over axle assembly (23). Align cam shaft (17) so that it fits
through cam shaft bracket assembly (24).
(3) Align holes in brake spider with holes in brake flange (22) and install bolts (20), washers (19) and nuts
(18), then tighten securely.
(4) Align splines of slack adjuster (14) with splines of cam shaft (17) and at the same time position slack
adjuster (14) so that when installed it will connect to air chamber assembly (15).
(5) Install slack adjuster (14) on cam shaft (17) and install lock ring (16) in groove on cam shaft (17) to
secure slack adjuster.
(6) Place end of slack adjuster (14) in clevis of air chamber assembly (15) and install clevis pin (13) and
cotter pin (12).
(7) Visually check that grease retainer assembly, inner bearing cone, and inner bearing cap are installed
in the hub assembly, If these items have been removed, refer to paragraph 3-41, and install them.
Tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly weight as
a unit is 226 pounds (102.60 kg). Injury can occur if caution is
not used when installing on axle assembly.
Inner bearing cone remains inside the hub during removal of the
tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly unit.
Caution must be taken to prevent damage to inner bearing cone
and spindle during installation.
(8) Carefully position, as a single unit, tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly over end of
spindle and slide into position.
(9) Pack wheel bearings in accordance with Lubrication Order, LO 10-4610-215-12. Then, install outer
bearing cone (10).
Difficulty in installing the outer bearing cone may be present; if
so, slightly push on top of tire and wheel assembly, tilting it back
and forth until bearing cone slips into position.
(10) Install spindle lock washer (9) and inner spindle nut (8), finger tight.
Do not overtighten spindle nut, doing so can cause heating,
accelerated wear, and bearing failure.
(11 ) Using the spindle nut wrench and handle and while turning wheel, tighten inner spindle nut (8) until
tight and wheel can no longer be turned, then back off inner spindle nut (8) until wheel turns freely.
(12) Install spindle tongue washer (6) and outer spindle nut (7). Secure using spindle nut wrench and
(13) Bend tab of spindle tongue washer (6) down to lock outer spindle nut (7).
(14) Check wheel for wobble by holding the wheel at two opposite points on line with the center. Push at
one point and pull at the other (both forces in line with the centerline of the axle).