2-41. BACKWASH PUMP ASSEMBLY. (Figure 239)
a. General. The backwash pump assembly consists of a welded frame holding the backwash pump, power
cable, and strainer. This paragraph describes removal, cleaning, inspection, and installation of the power cable
assembly, strainer, and backwash pump assembly.
b. Power Cable Assembly Removal.
ELECTRICAL HIGH VOLTAGE
Highvoltage electricity can cause serious injury or death. Be
certain that all power is removed before performing maintenance
on electrical equipment.
(1) Remove four screws (1) from conduit box cover (2), conduit box cover gasket (3) and conduit box (15).
(2) Remove conduit box cover (2) and gasket (3) from conduit box (15).
(3) Pull wires out far enough to expose taped ends and cut twine (4) that binds wires.
(4) Remove tape (5) from ends of power cable wires only.
Mark each set of wires for ease of reassembly later.
(5) Remove nut (6), lockwasher (7), and flat washer (8) from screw (10) on each set of wires.
(6) Remove screw (10) from wire lugs (9) on each set of wires.
(7) Remove bolt (11) from conduit box (15) and from ground wire (12).
(8) Remove bolt (11) from ground wire (12).
(9) From inside conduit box (15), remove cable grip nut (13) from cable grip (14) and slide it off wires.
(10) Remove remainder of cable grip (14) and cable assembly from conduit box (1 5).
Be sure Oring remains with the cable grip.