(3) From inside pump power frame, insert one throat bushing (6), one spring (3), two packing units (4),
one lantern ring (5), and one more packing unit (4) into each cylinder bore. Install packing units so that lips of
each seal ring point toward the cylinder head.
(4) Screw the five gland nuts (9) into place behind packing until hand tight.
(5) Insert plunger (13) from cylinder head opening through packing and baffle disc (12) and screw onto
crossheads. Tighten with a pipe wrench on the knurled section of the plunger.
(6) Tighten two nuts (11) on wiper box gland.
(7) Tighten gland nut (9) with a spanner wrench.
(8) Replace barrel cover (8) on pump power frame and secure with two wing nuts (7)
(9) Install five cylinder head gaskets (23) and cylinder heads (22).
(10) Install five plugs (24) on suction/discharge assembly (2).
(11) Install R.O. pump onto R.O. pump stand in accordance with paragraph 2-73.
(12) Run R.O. pump for 1 hour.
(13) Retighten five gland nuts (9).
3-13. BACKWASH PUMP MOTOR ASSEMBLY.
a. General. This paragraph describes the disassembly cleaning, inspection, component tests, repair,
reassembly, and operational testing of the backwash pump motor.
b. Motor assembly. (Figure 3-8)
(1) If necessary, see paragraph 2-41 to remove backwash pump from frame and/or to remove power
Objects blown by compressed air can cause serious eye injury.
Always wear protective goggles when using compressed air.
(2) Before moving motor into work area, blow dirt out of ventilation louvers.