(1) Inspect axle assembly for cracks. If cracks are present, replace axle assembly.
(2) Inspect axle spindle for thread damage. If thread damage is present, replace spindle.
(3) Inspect springs for breaks. If breaks are present in springs, replace broken spring.
(4) Inspect all U-bolt clamps, trunnion brackets, and axle trunnion for cracks or other damage. Replace
any item containing breaks, cracks, or other damage.
(1) To remove spring assembly (figure 3-52), perform the following:
(a) Remove nuts (l), washers (2), and U-bolts (3).
(b) Remove nuts (4) and (5), bolts (6), and trunnion bracket plate (7). Axle trunnion (8) will now fall
free of spring assemblies (9).
(c) Shackle boxes are still installed on spring assemblies (9). In order to remove them, perform the
1. Remove nuts (10) and washers (11).
2. Separate shackle box cover (12) and shackle box (13). This will then free spring assembly (9),
top spacer (14), side spacers (15), and bottom spacers (16).
(2) Remove screws (17), clamps (18), and (19), and trunnion bracket (20) from axle trunnion (8). Remove
spacer ring (21).
(3) To disassemble the spring assembly (figure 3-53), perform the following:
(a) Remove nuts (1), screws (2), spacer tubings (3), and angle bars (4). Remove rivets (5) if
(b) Remove nut (6) and screw (7), then separate bars (8) through (14).
(4) Using a standard lug nut wrench and handle available from a towing vehicle, loosen lug nuts (22)
Do not remove lug nuts (22) at this time.