(5) When all lug nuts (22) are loose, using a forklift, raise axle assembly (23) until wheels are clear of
ground or floor.
Tire and wheel assembly weight is 122 lbs. Injury can occur if
caution is not used when removing from hub.
(6) Carefully remove tire and wheel assembly (24) from hub and drum assembly.
(7) Remove bolts (25) and washers (26) securing hub cap (27) to hub (28). Remove hub cap (27) and hub
cap gasket (29).
(8) Bend tab of spindle tongue washer (30) up to allow removal of outer spindle nut (31 ).
(9) Using spindle nut wrench and handle available from a towing vehicle, remove outer spindle nut (31).
Remove spindle tongue washer (30).
(10) Using the spindle nut wrench and handle, remove inner spindle nut (32), then remove spindle lock
Carefully remove outer bearing cone (34); outer bearing cup (35) will remain in hub.
Carefully remove hub and drum assembly as a single unit.
To disassemble the hub and drum assembly (figure 3-54), perform the following:
(a) Remove nuts (1), washers (2), and studs (3).
(b) Separate hub (4) and brake drum (5).
(c) Remove grease retainer assembly (6). It can be separated into ring (7) and seal (8).
(d) Remove inner bearing cone (9) and cups (10).
To disassemble the axle bar assembly, which is welded, separate spindle (36) (figure 355) from tube
(1) If new spindle is to be installed, weld spindle (36) (figure 3-55) to tube (37).
(2) To assemble the hub and drum assembly (figure 3-54), perform the following:
(a) If grease retainer assembly was separated, install seal (8) in ring (7).
(b) Install bearing cups (10) in hub (4), then pack inner bearing cone (9) in accordance with
Lubrication Order, LO 10-4610-215-12, and install inner bearing cone (9) and grease retainer assembly
Thread rotation is marked on the stud. Be sure all studs marked
with an L are installed in one hub and all studs marked with an R
are installed in the other hub.
(c) Align hub (4) and brake drum (5) and install studs (3), washers (2), and nuts (1).