(1) Use a sharp scribe to loosen accumulated grit around hubs on crankshaft.
Drycleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous. Avoid
repeated and prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact. Do
not use near open flame, arcing equipment or other ignition
sources. Always wear protective clothing and eyewear.
(2) Wash metallic parts including air breather bearings, crankshaft, and inside of power frame with
cleaning solvent Fed. Spec. P-D-680.
(3) Rinse with cleaning solvent Fed. Spec. P-D-680 and allow to air dry.
(4) Wrap bearings in clean, lint-free cloth.
(5) Remove rust and loose paint from pump exterior. Prepare for repainting, if necessary.
(6) Remove rust and corrosion from nuts, screws, bolts, and studs.
(1) Inspect parts of suction/discharge assembly in accordance with paragraph 4-3.
(2) Inspect power frame for damage.
(3) Inspect crankshaft for scratches, pitting, and excessive wear.
(4) Inspect crossheads, wrist pins, glands, followers, and wiper boxes for damages and excessive wear.
(5) Inspect cone bearing assemblies, shell bearings, and main bearing for deformation, pitting, and
(6) Inspect connecting rods and connecting rod caps for damage, particularly pitting around shell bearing
housing, and for stripped threads in bolt holes.
(7) Inspect screws and bolts for bent and broken shanks.
(8) Inspect nuts, screws, bolts, and studs for stripped heads and threads.
e. Repair or Replace.
(1) Replace all gaskets, seals, O-rings, packing, and rubber or fiber parts.
(2) Replace all damaged nuts, bolts, screws washers, lockwashers, setscrews, pins, shims, and studs.
(3) Replace damaged or unserviceable connecting rods, connecting rod caps, connecting rod shell
bearings, bushings, wrist pins, and crossheads.
(4) Replace damaged, worn, or unserviceable main bearings, cone bearing assemblies, bearing housing,
shim gaskets, bearing cups, and extension guard.
(5) Buff minor scratches in crankshaft with fine emery cloth.
(6) Replace damaged, worn, or unserviceable crankshaft.
(7) Replace damaged or unserviceable pump power frame, crankshaft cover, oil sight gage, oil drain
valve, pipe fittings, and air breather cap.
(8) Repaint R.O. pump assembly in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.