(2) Immediately after backwashing is complete, close the feed valve (3), remove the raw water discharge hose and
adapter (4) and install the cap on the van connection. Disconnect all raw water hose sections (5) and quickly walk out the
hose sections to remove water. Roll up hoses and place inside van.
(3) Disconnect all waste hose sections (6) and walk out remaining water. Reconnect for use during cleaning
(4) Disconnect and drain all deployed raw water suction hose sections (7).
(5) Open raw water pump drain and priming valves (8). (If priming valve is capped, first remove cap.)
(6) With the exception of when the clean/flush tank is being filled, leave the distribution pump running with dispensing
nozzles placed open inside the tanks to which the pump is connected. Drain the third tank and remove it from the system.
(7) After beginning the RO cleaning or sanitizing procedure, drain and purge the media filter.
(a) Open the media filter lower drain (9).
(b) Open the media filter air purge block (10).
(c) Continue the air purge until only air is observed at the drain.
Watch the air pressure gage. Do not allow pressure to drop below 200 psig. Close valve
and wait for additional air pressure.
(d) Close the air purge block (10). Leave media filter lower drain valve (9) open.
(8) If on an NBC mission, drain and purge the NBC filter (para. 2-33h).
(9) When cleaning and/or sanitizing procedures are complete, drain the water tanks, disconnect the hoses (11) and
open the pump drain valve (12). Immediately roll up the dispensing hoses with the nozzles locked open to remove the
water. Place inside the van.
(10) Maintain operation of the space heaters to avoid freeze up.
(a) Continue to maintain operation of the diesel generator to provide power for the heaters.
Prolonged operation of the diesel generator at low load will decrease the reliability.
(b) An auxiliary power connection (13) is provided to provide 120 VAC power to the van space heaters. Power can
be supplied by an auxiliary generator or another ROWPU at the water point allowing the diesel generator to be secured
The space heaters power automatically shifts to the diesel generator batteries when the
generator is shut down and auxiliary power is not supplied. The HEATER POWER
SUPPLY ON/OFF switch (5, Figure 2-68) will control the heaters when 120 VAC is
available. When drawing from the batteries, stop heater no. 1. The batteries will power
heater no. 2 (14) for 1 -hour without excessive discharge. Fuel consumption is 1/6(.6 1)
gallon per hour per heater.
(11) If the ROWPU will be placed in storage below 320F, the RO elements must be removed immediately after
draining the RO vessels and before the heaters are stopped.
(12) On Model ROWPU-1, Open all drain valves (15) behind the pressure gages on the control panel.
Preparation for Movement. Prepare for movement as described in para. 2-28 with the following variations.
(1) Maintain generator and heater operation until pack-up is complete.
(2) Movement for Immediate redeployment.
(a) Open all vents and drains. Do not leave RO element sanitizing solution in the RO vessels. Uncap all ROWPU
van external connections.
Change 7 2-149