(1) Continue normal start-up except leave chemical pumps off.
(2) Connect product utility hose (1) to clean/flush tank inlet. Partially close the product shut-off valve (2). Open the
utility hose valve (3) and fill the clean/flush tank.
(3) Shut down to standby (para. 2-18).
(4) Remove raw water discharge hose (4) and cap connection.
(5) Disconnect and drain raw water hoses (5).
(6) Remove outside waste out hose (6) and cap connection.
(7) Connect cleaning heat-up jumper hose (7) between waste out connection (8) and clean/flush tank overflow
(8) Turn system switch to shutdown (10).
(9) Fully close product shut-off valve (2).
(10) Push BOOSTER PUMP START (11).
(11) When WASTE FLOW flowmeter (12) reads steady, push HIGH PRESSURE PUMP START (13).
(12) Close system pressure control valve (14) until pressure gage (15) reads 20 psig.
Water will now circulate the same as during cleaning heat-up except that it also
circulates through the media filter.
(13) Continue to circulate until the water temperature gage (16) reads at least 45°F (7°C).
(14) Push HIGH PRESSURE PUMP STOP (17).
(15) Wait 1 minute. Push BOOSTER PUMP STOP (18).
(16) Turn system switch to SYSTEM ON (10).
(17) Remove heat-up jumper hose (7). Cap connection (8).
(18) Reconnect raw water (5) and waste (6) hoses.
(19) Close product utility hose valve (3) and disconnect hose (1) from clean/flush tank.
(20) Open product shut-off valve (2).
(21) Complete normal start-up.
(22) Backwash media filter as soon as possible.
b. Procedures following EMP Exposure.
A low yield, high altitude nuclear detonation will produce an electro-magnetic pulse
(EMP) which may disrupt ROWPU operation and damage certain electronic devices.
The portable instruments will be protected if inside the grounded storage box (42,
Figure 2-24) if the cover is closed and latched. Keep inside the box when not in use.
The immediate result of EMP will be a ROWPU shutdown, probably with a feed
pressure low alarm condition. The generator circuit breaker may trip in which case
the ROWPU will stop and there will be no power. Follow the procedures presented by
this section to restore and continue operation.