f. Installing threaded inserts. (Refer to Figure 2-6.)
(1) Loosen setscrew (1), and slide stop collar (10) back.
(2) Turn handle until shaft (2) extends past tip of insertion tool (3) slightly longer than length of new insert (4).
(3) Screw insert (4) on shaft until tang (5) of insert goes into shaft notch (6).
(4) Adjust distance (7) between end (8) of insert (4) and tip (9). Turn handle until distance is equal to installation
depth below surface of tapped hole.
(5) Push down stop collar (10) until it contacts body of insertion tool (3).
(6) Tighten setscrew (1).
(7) Remove insert (4) from shaft (2).
(8) Turn handle until insert (4) can be slipped into tool barrel.
(9) Thread insert (4) onto shaft (2) while inside tool barrel, until shaft notch (6) engages tang (5).
(10) Turn handle until tang of insert (4) is even with tip of insertion tool (3).
Insertion tool must be straight and not allowed to wobble when installing insert.
Equipment can be damaged.
Do not force insert into tapped hole. Threads will be damaged.
(11) Put tip of insertion tool (3) against tapped hole being sure that insertion tool is straight.
Figure 2-6. Installing Threaded Insert (sheet 1 of 2)