When crimping, be sure to make a good electrical and mechanical connection
between terminal and wire.
(5) Install and crimp splice (4) on each end of new wire (3).
(6) Install and crimp the new wire splices onto the stripped end of the wire being repaired.
(7) Using electrical tape, wrap the two splices for approximately one inch on each side of each splice.
Make sure the electrical tape overlaps insulation on both ends of repair area.
(8) Using electrical tape, completely wrap the entire length of cable from which the external insulation was
removed. When possible, install heat shrink tubing.
b. Replace Connectors (Figure 2-8).
This procedure applies to both straight and 90° connectors and is applicable regard-
less of the number of wires in the cable.
(1) Cut boot (1) off cable (2) and discard. Unscrew backshell (3) from connector (4).
(2) Tag all wires with their corresponding contact number.
Contact numbers are marked on the interior of the connector.
Figure 2-8. Connectors
2-86 Change 1