Drainage lagoon should be located downstream from unit.
(17) Drain citric acid solution into a shallow man-made lagoon a reasonable distance away from the unit.
Close valve at discharge of brine water tank (para. 2-66).
(18) Perform startup procedure for normal filtering operation (para. 2-25).
(19) Allow the ROWPU to operate for 10 minutes with the brine and product water hoses out of the tanks with
REGULATE PRODUCT FLOW valve fully open (turned fully to the left until it stops) to rinse the R.O. pressure vessels.
Figure 2-76. Product Water Flow Indicator
Figure 2-77. R.O. Pressure Gage
(20) Adjust REGULATE PRODUCT FLOW valve until PRODUCT WATER FLOW gage reads under 16 gpm
(fresh/brackish water) or 12 (seawater), and R.O. PRESSURE PSI reads under 500 (fresh/ brackish water) or 960
(21) Allow ROWPU to run 3 minutes, and check product water TDS (para. 2-32c).
Some elements require 24-72 hours of operation before TDS decreases
to acceptable standards. If TDS is still over 1500 ppm after cleaning,
allowing ROWPU to run longer may lower TDS.
(22) Only after obtaining TDS level under 1500 ppm, place product water hose back into product water tank,
above water level.
Triton X Detergent Method. Follow same procedures for CITRIC ACID METHOD (para. 2-29a), with following
In step (4), instead of citric acid, use 800 ml (1500 gallon tank) or 2160 ml (3000 gallon tank) of
overpacked SURFACTANT (Triton X detergent).
In step (17), continue to rinse elements until you can no longer see suds in rinse water.