2-10. STARTER ASSEMBLY - Continued.
(1) Slowly pull the recoil rope (4) part way out and loosen bushing
(2) Do not let rope recoil.
Cut rope (4) as close to the handle as
Remove bushing (5).
Tie a loose knot in rope and
gently let rope recoil.
(3) Remove pin (1) from handle (3) and cut off bushing (2).
The cleaning solvent used emits strong vapors and is flammable. To avoid
illness or fire, use in a well-ventilated area and away from open flames. Do
NOT breathe vapors for a prolonged time.
(1) Clean starter exterior with cleaning solvent (item 5, Appen-
dix C) using a varnish brush (item 1, Appendix C).
(2) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect starter recoil rope for fraying, kinks, or breaks.
(2) Inspect housing for cracks or missing hardware.
(3) Inspect handle for cracks.
(4) Inspect bushing for cracks.
(1) Undo knot, install bushing (5) and retie knot in rope (4). In-
sert rope thru handle (3) and wrap the rope around bolt (1)
twice and secure bolt with new bushing (2).