Table 8-2. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services for Fuel Oil System (Continued)
Q - Quarterly
S - Semiannually
A - Annually
CHECK FOR AND HAVE
IS NOT READY/
REPAIRED OR ADJUSTED
B D A D W M Q S A
f. Check transfer pump for leaks, capacity
Class III leaks.
and pressure. If leakage is greater than a
slight weep, replace mechanical seal as
Never touch sealing faces with anything
except fingers or a clean cloth to ensure
a good seal.
1) Remove capscrews attaching end
2) Remove end cap to expose mechani-
3) Remove mechanical seal by sliding off
end of shaft.
4) Check end of pump shaft for sharp
burrs or edges which might cut seal
5) Spread a film of lubricating oil on
inside diameter of synthetic rubber
6) Slide seal rotary member over shaft
and up against set collar, so that
spring washer and spring go on first.
7) Coat synthetic rubber seal seat with
lubricating oil and push seal seat into
8) Put end cap gasket on end of casing.
9) Slide end cap over shaft.
10) Flush both seal seat and carbon wear
ring in seal rotary member with oil.
11) Push end cap up until mating surfaces
of end cap and casing or seal meet.
12) Install capscrews and tighten evenly.