Table 2-4. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services for Anchor, Mooring, & Towing Equipment (Cont)
Q - Quarterly
S - Semiannually
A - Annually
CHECK FOR AND HAVE
IS NOT READY/
REPAIRED OR ADJUSTED
B D A D W M Q S A
2) Eleven grease fittings on levelwind
traveler (two on each of four rollers
and three on top of Barge 1 traveler).
On barges 2 and 3, traveler has four
fittings on top.
3) One grease fitting on gear case (out-
4) Two grease fittings on brake (inboard)
side (one on levelwind release mecha-
nism, one on water end of cover on
5) Three fittings on inside shaft behind
the manual/power selector.
6) Levelwind compound helix shaft and
c. Check oil level in gear motor reduction
box as follows:
If unit has been in storage, gear motor
reduction box may be full of oil and must
be drained to operating level prior to
1) Remove gearbox breather plug/oil
filler plug near top of gearbox.
2) Remove gear oil check plug near top
of gearbox end of unit. Oil should be
level with bottom of check hole.
3) If overfull from storage requirements
allow excess oil (about 3 qt.) to run
out of check hole into a container.
When oil stops flowing, replace plug.
Dispose of excess oil into bilge sys-
4) If oil level is lower than bottom of
check hole, add oil through breather
and oil filler plug on side of gearbox
until oil flows out of check hole. Use
nontoxic rust-inhibiting gear oil,
AGMA No. 7. Replace both plugs.