Table 2-4. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services for Anchor, Mooring, & Towing Equipment (Cont)
Q - Quarterly
S - Semiannually
A - Annually
CHECK FOR AND HAVE
IS NOT READY/
REPAIRED OR ADJUSTED
B D A D W M Q S A
5) Check gearbox breather plug/oil filler
plug on side near top of gear motor
Screw inner portion of
plug "out" to uncover breather holes.
Make sure breather holes are not cov-
ered with paint.
d. Check oil level in gear case on outer side
of winch as follows:
1) Unscrew oil level plug just below cen-
ter line of gear case.
Oil should be
level with bottom of hole.
2) Remove gear lube access plate above
oil level check hole.
3) Add 90 weight gear oil until it runs out
4) Replace oil level plug in hole.
5) Replace access plate.
e. Change oil in gear lube on outer side of
1) Gearcase oil should be warm but
winch not in use.
2) Remove gear lube access plate and oil
drain plug. Catch oil in container and
empty into sludge tank.
3) Replace oil drain plug.
4) Remove oil level plug.
5) Fill with 90 weight gear oil until it runs
out oil level hole.
6) Replace oil level plug.
7) Replace gear lube access plate.