Table 17-4. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services
for Workboat, Lifesaving, and Firefighting System (Continued)
Q - Quarterly
S - Semiannually
A - Annually
CHECK FOR AND HAVE
IS NOT READY/
REPAIRED OR ADJUSTED
B D A D W M Q S A
6) Check water level in each cell and fill
with distilled water, if available, or
ordinary tap water as required.
7) Reinstall battery in pump.
8) Check battery for cracks and termi-
nals and cables for cleanliness. If cor-
rosion is indicated, proceed as fol-
(a) Remove battery cables from ter-
(b) Using a wire brush, clean cable
terminals and battery terminals.
(c) Coat battery terminals with
Connect positive battery cable to positive
( + ) terminal on battery and negative bat-
tery cable to negative (-) terminal on bat-
(d) Reconnect battery cables.
n. Check for belt tension and wear using
Belts cracked or
1) Shut down pump and tag "OUT OF
2) Remove fan belt guard by removing
the two attaching screws, then
remove fan cover.
3) Check fan belt tension by pressing in
on fan belt. Fan belt deflection should
be 5/32 in.
4) Adjust fan belt as follows:
(a) Loosen the four bolts on the prim-
ing pump mounting bracket and
the two bolts on the priming pump