Disassembly. Disassemble alternator assembly (Figure 5-7) as follows:
(1) Take out four thru-bolts and separate drive end frame and rotor assembly from stator frame assembly.
(2) Make scribe marks across junction of two frame sections to make reassembly easier.
(3) Pry two sections apart by using a screwdriver at stator slot.
Use pressure sensitive tape to perform following steps. Use of friction tape leaves a gummy
deposit, particularly on shaft.
(4) Place piece of tape over slip ring and bearing to prevent entry of dirt and other foreign material.
(5) Place piece of tape over rotor shaft on slip ring end.
(6) Clean brushes with soft, dry cloth if they are to be re-used.
Do not over tighten vise to keep rotor from turning in next step.
(7) Place rotor in vise; remove shaft nut, lockwasher, pulley, fan, and outside collar.
(8) Work drive end frame off end of rotor shaft.
Do not perform steps 9 through 13 unless necessary to perform tests or replace items.
(9) Remove three attaching nuts and attaching screw, remove stator assembly and diode trio. Insulating
washer on screw is assembled over top of diode trio connector.