(8) Use a spring tester to check the spring load. Replace spring when a load of less than 250 pounds will
compress it to a length of 2.1406 inch.
(9) Remove and install cam follower roller and pin as follows:
(a) Clamp cam follower fixture in a vise and place cam follower in groove in the top of fixture, with
follower pin resting on top of corresponding plunger in fixture.
(b) Use a suitable drift and drive pin from roller. Exercise caution in removing cam follower body and
roller from fixture as follower pin is seated on top of a spring loaded plunger in fixture body.
(c) Prior to installing a new pin, remove any burrs on surface of cam follower at pin holes.
(d) Position follower body in groove of the fixture with proper size fixture plunger extending through
roller pin hole in one of legs of follower body.
(e) Coat new roller bushing and pin with lightweight engine oil.
(f) Position roller in cam follower body. The small plunger in fixture will align roller with pin holes in
(g) Align pin with hole in follower body and carefully drive pin into body until ends of pin are centered in
legs of body.
(h) Check side clearance.
5-66 Rocker arm and cam follower reassembly and installation
a. Cam Follower Installation (Cylinder Head Installed)
(1) Immerse cam follower assemblies in a screen type basket and place basket in a container of lightweight
engine oil (heated to 100° to 125° F) for at least 1 hour before installation. Rotate cam follower roller during soaking
period to aid in purging any air from bushing-roller area.
(2) Note the oil hole in bottom of cam follower. With this hole pointing away from the exhaust valves, slide the
cam follower assembly into position.
(3) Install a serrated lower spring seat and upper spring seat on each push rod.
(4) Install assembled push rod into proper cam follower.
(5) Install flatwasher and nut on push rod, then place removal tool on push rod between washer and upper
spring seat. Tighten nut on push rod until spring is compressed far enough and install push rod spring retainer.
(6) Remove nut and tool from push rod; reinstall locknut on push rod. Then, screw rocker arm clevis down on
push rod until end of push rod is flush with inner side of clevis.