(3) Attach flywheel lifting tool to flywheel with two 3/8 inch bolts of suitable length.
(4) Attach a chain hoist to tool, remove remaining bolt, and withdraw flywheel from housing.
Loosen flywheel by moving upper end of tool in and out.
(5) Remove oil seal ring.
Note whether or not ring gear teeth are chamfered. Replacement gear must be installed so that
chamfer on teeth faces in same direction as one removed. Do not remove ring gear unless there is
evidence of damage or excessive wear.
(1) Support flywheel crankshaft side down, on a solid flat surface which is slightly smaller than diameter of ring
(2) Drive ring gear off flywheel with a suitable drift and hammer. Work around circumference of ring gear to
avoid binding on flywheel.
5-76 Flywheel cleaning, inspection, and repair
Cleaning. Wash all parts with a cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
Inspection and Repair
(1) Inspect friction surface on clutch disc side of flywheel for scratches or other damage.
(2) Inspect mounting hardware for damaged threads.
(3) Inspect ring gear for excessive wear.
(4) Repair by replacement of defective parts.
5-77 Flywheel reassembly and installation
(1) Support flywheel, ring gear side up, on a fiat surface.
Do not under any circumstances, heat gear over 400°F; excessive heating may destroy original
(2) Rest ring gear on a flat surface and heat gear uniformly with an acetylene torch, keeping torch moving
around gear to avoid hot spots.