(3) Position governor weight between projecting arms of weight carrier. Push pin through governor weight.
Place third flatwasher over pin and against weight.
(4) Push pin completely through weight carrier and place fourth flatwasher over pin and against projecting
arm of weight carrier. Install second lock ring in groove of weight carrier pin.
(5) Install second governor weight as outlined in steps (1) through (4).
(6) Slide riser over shaft and against finished surfaces of governor weights.
(7) Assemble riser thrust bearing on weight shaft with bearing race having smaller inside diameter against
thrust riser. Incorrect installation of bearing will result in erratic operation of governor.
(8) Insert weight carrier and shaft assembly in weight housing.
(9) Support splined end of shaft on bed of an arbor press. Start shaft end bearing in housing and over end of
shaft with the numbered side of bearing facing away from shaft. Press bearing in place with a sleeve that bears against
(10) Place a washer (Figure 6-4) over bearing retaining bolt. Thread bolt into tapped end of shaft and tighten
it. Bend tang of washer against head of bolt.
(11) Place gasket in housing and against bearing. Apply a Loctite sealant, grade HV, or equivalent, to full
360° circumference of end plug and thread plug into tapped end of governor weight housing. Tighten plug to 45 Ib-ft
torque with either flat or point of head on a horizontal line.
d. Variable speed spring housing reassembly
(1) Lubricate speed control lever shaft needle bearings with Shell Alvania No. 2 grease, or equivalent. Then
start one of bearings, numbered end up, straight in bearing bore in right-hand side of spring housing.
(2) Install needle bearing pilot rod in installer body and secure it in place with retaining screw.
(3) Place pilot rod end of bearing installer assembly in bearing. Support spring housing, bearing, and
installer on a short sleeve on the bed of an arbor press as shown in Figure 6-7, then press bearing in housing until
shoulder on installer contacts the housing.
When the shoulder on installer body contacts housing, bearing will be properly positioned in
(4) If removed, install spring lever Woodruff key in center keyway in speed control lever shaft.
(5) Place spring lever assembly between bearing bores inside spring housing with arm (roller end) of lever