(6) Insert correct end of single or double lever type, speed control lever shaft (Figure 6-6) through bearing
bore in side of spring housing, opposite bearing previously installed. Align key in shaft with keyway in spring lever, and
push shaft through lever and in bearing until flat on top of shaft is centered under setscrew hole in lever.
(7) Thread setscrew into spring lever, making sure point of screw is seated in the flat on shaft.
(8) Place second speed control lever shaft needle bearing, numbered end up, over protruding end of shaft
and start it straight in bore of housing.
(9) Remove bearing pilot rod from installer body and place installer body over end of shaft and against the
bearing. Support spring housing, bearings, and installer on a short sleeve on bed of an arbor press as shown in Figure 6-
7, then press bearing in housing until shoulder on installer contacts housing.
(10) If a single lever shaft was installed in spring housing, apply a thin coat of sealing compound to outside
diameter of cup plug. Start cup plug straight in bearing bore in housing, then support spring housing, bearings, and shaft
assembly on a sleeve on bed of an arbor press, and press cup plug in flush with outside face of housing (Figure 6-6).
(11) Clamp spring housing assembly in a bench vise equipped with soft jaws. Then tighten spring lever
retaining setscrew to 5-7 Ib-ft torque.
(12) Stake edge of spring lever setscrew hole with a small center punch and hammer to retain setscrew in
lever. Then, install plug in former spring housing.
(13) On a single lever shaft, place a sealring over the end of shaft and push it into bearing bore and against
bearing. Place plain washer over shaft and against housing, then install Woodruff key in keyway in shaft.
(14) On a double lever shaft, place a sealring over each end of shaft and push them into bearing bores and
against bearings. Place a plain washer over each end of shaft and against housing, then install a Woodruff key in
keyway at each end of shaft.
(15) Place speed control lever(s) on shaft in its original position. Align keyway in lever with key in shaft and
push lever in against plain washer and secure it in place with retaining bolt and lockwasher.
(16) If removed, thread locknut on idle speed adjusting screw. Then, thread idle speed adjusting screw into
spring housing cover approximately 1.00 in.
e. Variable speed spring housing to control housing reassembly
(1) Insert small end of spring plunger in plunger guide. Insert solid stop in governor control housing.
(2) Place spring retainer in spring housing, with closed end of the retainer against spring lever. If shims were
used, place them inside of spring retainer. Insert split stop in spring housing and against spring retainer.