Engine Disassembly and Assembly
Pistons And Connecting Rods
Install Pistons And Connecting Rods 1225-012
5P3525 Ring Compressor
1. Turn the crankshaft until the bearing journals for the
pistons to be installed are at bottom center.
2. Put clean engine oil on the crankshaft journals and on
the inside of the cylinder liners. Put clean engine oil on
the piston rings and the connecting rod bearings.
3. Move the piston rings on the pistons until the ring
openings are approximately 90° apart.
4. Put the piston in the cylinder liner with the "V" mark on
the piston in alignment with the "V" mark on the cylinder
block. Put tooling (A) in position on the cylinder block
and compress the piston rings.
5. Push the piston into the cylinder liner and out of the
6. Pull the connecting rod into position on the crankshaft
as shown. Install connecting rod bolts (1) in the
7. Put clean engine oil on the lower half of the
connecting rod bearing. Put 2P2506 Thread Lubricant
on the bolt threads and on the surfaces of the nuts that
make contact with the connecting rod caps.
When the connecting rod caps are installed, make
sure the number on the side of the cap is next to
and respective with the number on the side of the
8. Install connecting rod caps (2) and the nuts that hold
them. Tighten the nuts to a torque of 40 + 4 N-m (30 + 3
Ib. ft. ). Put a mark on each nut as to its location, and
tighten them 900 more.
9. Do Steps 1 through 8 for the remainder of the pistons.
a. install oil pump
b. install oil pan plate
c. install cylinder head assembly and spacer