Disassembly and Assembly
7. Put clean engine oil on thrust bearing (7) for the rear
main bearing. Install the thrust bearing with the
identification "BLOCK SIDE" toward the cylinder block
and the tabs on the thrust bearings in the machined area
in the cylinder block. Tabs (6) will not let the thrust
bearings be installed backward.
8. Install main bearing caps (5), and tighten the bolts as
in Steps 6b and 6c.
9. Check the crankshaft end play with tooling (D) as
shown. The end play is controlled by the thrust bearings
on the rear main bearing. End Play with new bearings is
0.064 to 0.368 mm (.0025 to .0145 in.). The maximum
permissible end play with used bearings is 0.64 mm
10. Pull the connecting rod and piston assemblies into
position against the crankshaft
NOTE :Install the connecting rod bearings dry when the
clearance checks are made. Put clean engine oil on the
connecting rod bearings for final assembly.
11. Install lower half of the rod bearing (8) in the
connecting rod cap with the tab in the back of the
connecting rod bearing in the tab groove of the
connecting rod and cap.
NOTE: Do not turn the crankshaft when Plastigauge (C)
is in position.