Disassembly and Assembly
12. Put Plastigauge (C) in position on the crankshaft as
shown to check the connecting rod bearing clearance.
13. Put clean engine oil on the threads of the rod bolts
and seat surfaces of the nuts.
When connecting rod caps are installed, make sure the
number on the side of the cap is next to and respective
with the number on the side of the connecting rod.
14. Install connecting rod cap (9). Install the nuts.
Tighten the nuts to a torque of 41 + 4 N-m (30 ± 3 Ib.ft.).
Put a mark on each nut and the end of each bolt. Tighten
the nuts 900 more. Remove the connecting rod caps.
Measure the Plastigauge. The connecting rod clearance
must be 0.076 to 0.168 mm (.0030 to .0066 in.) for new
bearings. The maximum clearance with used bearings is
0.25 mm (.010 in.).
15. Install connecting rod cap (9) and tighten the nuts as
in Step 14.
16. Do Steps 11 through 15 for the remainder of the rod
a. install flywheel housing
b. install timing gear cover
c. install oil pan plate
d. install oil pump