(2) Remove bolts (1) and washers (2) securing hub cap (3) to hub (4). Remove hub cap (3) and hub cap
(3) Bend tab of spindle tongue washer (6) to allow removal of outer spindle nut (7).
(4) Using spindle nut wrench and handle, available from a towing vehicle, remove outer spindle nut (7).
Remove spindle tongue washer (6).
(5) Using the spindle nut wrench and handle, remove inner spindle nut (8), then remove spindle lock
Wheel assembly may tend to tilt upon removal of outer bearing
(6) Carefully remove outer bearing cone (10), outer bearing cup (11) will remain in hub.
Tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly weight as
a unit is 226 pounds (102.60 kg). Injury can occur if caution is
not used when removing from axle assembly.
Inner bearing cone will remain inside the hub during removal of
the tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly unit.
Caution must be taken to prevent damage to inner bearing cone
and spindle during removal.
(7) Carefully remove tire and wheel assembly and hub and drum assembly as a single unit.
(8) Remove cotter pin (12) and clevis pin (13) connecting slack adjuster (14) to air chamber assembly
(9) Remove lock ring (16) from end of cam shaft (17), then slide slack adjuster (14) from spined portion of
cam shaft (17).
(10) Remove nuts (18), washers (19) and bolts (20) securing service brake assembly (21) to brake flange
(11 ) Pull service brake assembly (21) off over axle assembly (23) and out of cam bracket assembly (24).
Place service brake assembly on adequate workbench.
Using standard brake spring tool, carefully remove retract spring (1) from retract spring pins (2).
Remove retract spring pins (2) from brake shoes (3).
Remove brake roller retaining rings (4) securing brake roller pins (5) in brake shoes (3).
Remove brake roller pins (5) and brake rollers (6) from brake shoes (3).
Remove anchor pin nuts (7), anchor pin lock washers (8), anchor pin locks (9), anchor pins (10) and
links (11) securing brake shoes (3) to brake spider (12).
Brake shoes (3) and brake linings (13) can now be removed as a single unit.
If brake linings (13) are to be removed from brake shoes (3), remove rivets (14).
Remove cam shaft lock ring (15) and cam shaft spacer washer (16).
Pull cam shaft (17) out of brake spider (12). Remove cam shaft retainer washer (18).
Remove spider seals (19) and spider bushing (20) from brake spider (12).
b. Disassembly. Figure 2-21