(3) Use a pair of tongs and place gear on flywheel, with chamfer facing same direction as gear just removed.
(4) Tap ring gear into place against shoulder on flywheel.
(1) Install flywheel assembly in reverse sequence of disassembly procedure.
Re-Install torque converter assembly.
5-78 Flywheel housing, removal and disassembly
(1) Remove engine assembly.
(2) Remove flywheel assembly.
(3) Refer to Figure 5-34 and remove flywheel housing.
b. Disassembly. Disassemble flywheel housing as illustrated in Figure 5-34.
5-79 Flywheel housing cleaning, Inspection and repair
a. Cleaning. Wash all parts with cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
b. Inspection and Repair
(1) Inspect flywheel housing for cracks, breaks or other damage.
(2) Inspect all hardware and threaded areas for damaged threads. Retap threaded holes and replace
defective hardware as necessary.
(3) Discard and replace all gaskets.
Make sure that all gasket material is removed from flywheel housing and the end plate.
(4) Repair by replacement of defective parts.
5-80 Flywheel housing, reassembly and installation
a. Reassembly. Reassemble flywheel housing in reverse sequence of disassembly procedure.
b. Installation (1) Lubricate gear train teeth with clean engine oil before installing flywheel housing.
(2) Affix a new flywheel housing gasket to rear face of cylinder block rear end plate.
(3) If flywheel housing has an integral cast hub, install a flywheel housing to-end plate shim (.015 inch thick).
Use grease to hold shim to cylinder block rear end plate.