(15) install wire (4) to overload relay (3) and stationary contact block assembly (5).
(16) Install wires (1) to operating coil (2) and overload relay (3).
h. Test. (Refer to Schematic, Figure 1-12)
ELECTRICAL HIGH VOLTAGE
Electrical high voltage can cause serious injury or death. Some
tests performed in testing require power to be connected. Always
take proper measures to ensure personal safety.
(1) Using the multimeter, check between upper and lower contacts of the stationary contact block
assembly. It should read open.
(2) Check across contacts of overload relay. It should indicate a short. If reading is still open, replace
Manually depress movable contact assembly into stationary contact assembly and hold in position.
Check between upper and lower contacts of stationary contact assembly. It should indicate a short
Release movable contact assembly.
Apply 110 Vat, 60 Hz across the terminals of the operating coil.
Movable contacts should actuate and be held in position in stationary contact block assembly.
Remove power from operating coil.
317. MOTOR STARTER, 20 HP, 10 HP, AND 2 HP.
a. General. The motor starters protect the electric motors from overheating, shorts! and overloading overload
relays are part of the motor starters and will remove power from the pump motors in case of a malfunction. This
paragraph covers the disassembly, cleaning, inspection, repair, reassembly, and testing of the three larger motor
b. Removal. If necessary, remove the motor starter from the junction box in accordance with paragraph 2-52.
c. Disassemble. (Figure 313) (Refer to Schematic, Figure 112)