4. Explanation of Columns (Section IV).
a. NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) INDEX.
(1) STOCK NUMBER column. This column lists the NSN by National item identification number (NIIN)
sequence. The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN (for example, if the NSN is 5305-01-674-1467, the
NIIN is 01-674-1467). When using this column to locate an item, ignore the first 4 digits of the NSN. However,
the complete NSN should be used when ordering items by stock number.
(2) FIG. Column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located. The figures
are in numerical order in Sections II and III.
(3) ITEM Column. The item number identifies the item associated with the figure listed in the adjacent FIG.
column. This item is also identified by the NSN listed on the same line.
b. PART NUMBER INDEX. Parts in this index are listed by part number in ascending alphanumeric sequence
(i.e., vertical arrangement of letter and number combination which places the first letter or digit of each group in order A
through Z, followed by the numbers 0 through 9 and each following letter or digit in like order).
(1) FSCM Column. The Federal Supply Code for Manufacturer (FSCM) is a 5-digit numeric code used to
identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc., that supplies the item.
(2) PART NUMBER Column. Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer (individual, firm,
corporation, or Government activity), which controls the design and characteristics of the item by means of its
engineering drawings, specification standards, and inspection requirements to identify an item or range of items.
(3) STOCK NUMBER Column. This column lists the NSN for the associated part number and manufacturer
identified in the PART NUMBER and FSCM columns to the left.
(4) FIG, Column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located in Sections II