b. Storage Plan.
(1) Equipment shall be stored providing maximum protection from the elements and providing access for
inspection, maintenance, and exercising. Anticipate removal or deployment problems and take suitable precautions.
(2) Take into account environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold; high humidity; blowing sand,
dust, or loose debris; soft ground; mud, heavy snows; earthquakes; or combinations thereof and take adequate
(3) Establish a fire plan and provide for adequate firefighting equipment and personnel.
(4) For further information, refer to TM 740-1 (Storage and Supply Activities; Covered and Open Storage).
1-4. PREPARATION AND STORAGE OF WATER PURIFICATION UNIT.
a. Inspection. Make a complete inspection of the water purification unit.
b. Preventive Maintenance. The preventive maintenance services shall be performed on each major item of
equipment and each group of minor items of equipment when the equipment is initially placed in limited storage.
Required maintenance shall be performed promptly to ensure that the equipment is mechanically sound and ready for
(1) Backwash diatomite filter elements thoroughly (para 2-6b. (1)).
(2) Clean or flush all mud and dirt from unit and remove all chemicals from tanks.
(3) Wash unit with clean soapy water and flush with clear water.
(4) Drain water from pumps, and flush pump housing with clean water.
(5) Drain gasoline from engines of pump and generator if equipment is with water purification unit.
(6) Drain fabric tanks thoroughly and clean with soap and water. Rinse with clean filtered water and dry
(7) Clean all miscellaneous items such as fittings, tools, and hoses.
1-2 Change 3