Table 17-4. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services
for Workboat, Lifesaving, and Firefighting System (Continued)
Q - Quarterly
S - Semiannually
A - Annually
CHECK FOR AND HAVE
IS NOT READY/
REPAIRED OR ADJUSTED
B D A D W M Q S A
k. After each use with contaminated water
or salt water, wash down and flush out
the pump with clean, non-contaminated,
fresh water as follows:
1) Mix 2 cans BIA-TC-W service oil (NSN
9150-00-117-8791) and 6 gal of 90
octane gasoline in fuel tank.
2) Connect fuel hose to engine.
3) Connect fittings and hose to suction,
discharge, and exhaust connections.
4) Place suction hose with foot valve and
strainer into fresh water supply.
5) Prime pump until full, inspect for
6) Shut discharge valve.
Ensure exhaust gases discharge to out-
7) Start engine. Switch to start, advance
speed slightly, pres start button,
choke as necessary.
8) Prime pump; push priming button and
hold, when water discharges from
priming pump; ensure discharge hose
is manned; open water discharge
valve slowly. Release priming button.
Primer pump should evacuate air from
impeller housing and suction hose in
approximately 60 seconds.
Do not operate pump more than 2 minutes
unless pressure shows on gauge or priming
pump discharges water.